Sunday, September 26, 2010

Wall Street 2 : Money Never Sleeps.... movie review

Emerging from a lengthy prison stint, Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) finds himself on the outside of a world he once dominated.  Looking to repair his damaged relationship with his daughter, Gekko forms an alliance with her fiance Jacob (Shia LaBeouf), and Jacob begins to see him as a father figure.  But Jacob learns the hard way that Gekko -- still a master manipulator and player -- is after something very different from redemption.

I was expecting this for quite some time now.  And I was really eager how this would play out considering we have brought back Michael Douglas to reprise the role of Gordon Gekko, an idol of his time and jailed because of insider trading.  And 2 more top caliber actors in the names of Josh Brolin and Frank Langella, and a teen actor on his prime, Shia LaBeouf (Transformers).

I was invited by 20th Century Fox to the advance screening last Sept. 23, the movie was a little more than 2 hours, and I admit that there were some terms used that I was not familiar with since I was not in the stock market sector and even though I do invest in some stocks, I let my broker do the dirty work for me.  So basically I am very new to this stuff.

The story revolves around the great stock market fall and bail out of 2008.  How the US government used their national treasury to bail out companies so that the economy would not fail, they do clearly show that all of it was caused by wrong speculations and the economy can be prone to manipulations of certain individuals which may lead to bankruptcies take for example with the case of Lehman Brothers.

I personally liked the story line which is totally not connected to the first movie except for Mr. Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) himself.  It did have its moments with a special cameo appearance from a familiar face in the first movie.  I did feel that the movie was a little dragging, I would not doubt the direction of the great Oliver Stone (Director), but I felt he was just trying to match the first movie which he also directed.

By the way the first movie came out in 1987, in case you might want to research on it.  If you have watched the first film good for you, actually I just finished it a few minutes ago and I would say I like the first film better with regards to the storyline, that is why this review took a while longer since I wanted to get the feel of the first movie before I comment on the new one showing this September 29.

If you do have time get rental or maybe you have a copy of the 1st movie in your shelves do take time to view it one more time before heading to the cinema for this new one, trust me it helps.  I recommend this movie to the thinkers, it has its twists and turns, and yes deceptions and manipulations, you are always left guessing what will happen next.  Anyways hope you do watch this at your favorite cinemas brought to us by 20th Century Fox.

Thank you 20th Century Fox for this advanced screening and to Ms. Mae.
blog comments powered by Disqus

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails